When most people think of (mold) mildew removal, the first thing that pops into their head is the shower! However shower mold isn’t the only place where this nasty fungus can occur.
For example, mold can grow in tile grout, on walls, floors and along that rubber seal around your shower and tub. And don’t forget about that area around the base of your toilet, behind the tank and under the lid of it! Now check the base of your sink under the bathroom cabinet and under and behind your bathtub. Remember, bathroom mold can accumulate anywhere there is moisture.
For most of us, we simply grab whatever cleaning product is cheap and spray away. But, you should keep in mind that not all cleaners are the same just as not all molds are the same. If you’re dealing with mildew then your favorite bathroom cleaner may work just fine, but if you’re dealing with toxic mold, you’ll want the best stuff, a product that is specifically made for that type of fungus.
You should also keep in mind that when you’re dealing with poisonous mold, wearing rubber gloves and a paper (surgical) mask is a must. Even with non-toxic mold you should at the very least wear a pair of rubber gloves. You should also open windows to allow for some ventilation in the room, but you should avoid running fans since it can disturb fungus spores and spread them to other parts of the home.
Once you’ve cleaned up the mold, you should change your clothing immediately and keep in separate from you regular laundry. You should also discard any rags you may have used in the mold clean up process by sealing them in a garbage bag and removing it from the home immediately. Otherwise you could very well re-contaminate your home and have to start the mildew removal process all over again!